Prep time: About 20 minutes
Bake time: 1.5 hours
- 2 Medium to Large Eggplants
- Olive Oil
- 2 Large Eggs
- 3/4 Cup of Italian Bread Crumbs
- 3 tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
- 48 oz Tomato Sauce (I like 1/2 smooth and 1/2 chunky)
- 1 1/2 Cups of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 Cup of Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush 2 baking sheets with oil. ( Put foil over baking sheets for easy cleanup ). Set aside. Peel eggplant and slice into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
- In wide, shallow bowl, whisk 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons of water. In another wide, shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. ( If you have finely shredded parmesan cheese you can also add it ).
- Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture and dredge in breadcrumb mixture to coat both sides. Place on baking sheets.
- Bake eggplant until golden brown on bottom for 20 - 25 minutes. Flip slices, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake again for 20 - 25 additional minutes.
- In a 9 x 13 baking dish, spread 2 cups of sauce along bottom of dish. ( Add a dash of Italian seasoning to the sauce ). Arrange half the eggplant over sauce. Cover with 2 more cups of sauce and then 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Repeat with another layer of sauce, eggplant and mozzarella cheese. Finish the top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Bake 20 - 25 minutes until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving